What Can I Have With Me In Therapy
There are certain items that are not allowed in a rehab facility and so when checking in, you need to be sure which ones are allowed.
Rehab centres have various policies, which are strict about what you can bring with you during the treatment. A list of allowed objects and forbidden ones is presented by most clinics.
You will be admitted to the clinic as you get to the rehab where the entrance process will start. The staff will carefully check your belonging to ensure you are not carrying any banned substance or item with you. All the details of what you came in with will be recorded in the patient property book.
You can carry the necessities with yourself. However, each rehab has its own conditions on what they allow and what is not allowed.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Knowing The Packing Requirements Of Your Rehab
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. You can also get this info on their website. Although not all centres offer a checklist, some provide the patient in order to prepare them prior to admission. Calling the rehab centre is an option in case you can't find packing information anywhere on the site. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. You can also receive clarification on other policies or guidance about the admission process.
Items That Most Clinics Endorse
It is a given that rules vary from one centre to another, others are still while others are a bit lenient.
Below are some items that are most recommended
- A list of names, home addresses, and telephone numbers of the people you want to be part of your therapy (those you care about, medical professionals, 12 step guarantors, etc.).
- Your wedding ring or watch or other everyday jewellery items.
- You should not bring costly jewellery items with you.
- An alarm clock.
- In other facilities, all necessities are provided and you are required to bring only yourself.
- Existing prescription medication should have complete and accurate labels and original container.
- It is recommended that all liquid medications be newly purchased and sealed.
- A complete list of your maintenance drugs and other needed medications.
- Minimum amount of cash in cases where vending machines or in-house stores are accessible.
- Bring along your credit cards or check book for settling the payment for new medications.
- Identification information.
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- A notebook or newspaper.
- Stamps and envelopes if you need to mail post.
- Some picture of close relatives and friends.
- Most rehabs provide inpatients with books and magazines to read.
- If you wish to carry reading materials for yourselves, you must understand that the subjects must only be on the recovery, self-help and spiritually oriented.
- TIP Should you bring books, we recommend you to bring paperbacks as they are more handy than hardbacks.
What Clothing You Can Carry
Be conscious of any limitations on the dress code while packing because most clinics have one. If you are not sure about how to pack for the weather, you should be looking forward to packing layering options like T-shirts, sweaters, cardigans and jackets.
This however does not mean that you should carry your whole closet.
There will be provisions for you to clean clothes in the facility. Try not to bring clothes which require special washing like dry cleaning for example.
Some of the best type of clothing to bring along with you are
- Shoes Bring the shoes that you feel comfortable in .
- Shirts You need to make sure you bring the shirts that are allowed in that facility, tank tops need to be accompanied by cardigans.
- Shorts The dress code of the centres will determine the length of the shorts.
- Carry a few clothes that will be used for important events.
- A bathing suit; At least one.
- A Jacket/Coat.
- Bath robe.
- A belt.
- A hat.
Beauty And Hygiene Products To Pack
Rehab centres require every toiletries and beauty products to be free absolutely from alcohol. However, these requirements varies from one centre to another. Aerosols are not allowed
These toiletries and personal products should be enough you to last thirty days especially
- Body sprays
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair styling spray
- Hair brush
- Feminine hygiene products
- Shaving cream
Items That Are Prohibited In Rehab
Almost all treatment centres have a list of forbidden items and they enforce a set of rules. This is because they might compromise the recovery process of the patient or even put their lives at risk. Prohibited items vary by the centres but the following items are almost always banned
- Drugs and alcohol
- Narcotics and prohibited prescriptions
- Weapons [guns, knives, sharp objects, scissors, etc.].
- Materials with sexual content
- Food items
- Everyday stuff containing alcohol
- Medications that are not prescribed
- Volatile substances like nail polish or polish remover and the likes
- Movie DVDs and games
- Sporting apparatus
- Skimpy clothes
- Cleaning supplies [bleach, ammonia, etc.]
- Electrical devices (televisions, gaming consoles, etc.)
- Games and playing cards
- Incense and candles
- Clothing with vulgarity or reference to drugs, booze or violence
Games and playing cards, video games and DVDs, and sporting apparatus may leave you wondering. The recovery procedure usually requires maximum concentration and that is why some items are not allowed. They will provide screening schedules or any equivalent at their specified time.
Most centres don't encourage consumption of too much caffeine and sugar, and that's why outside food and drinks are prohibited. You will be given three meals per day, snacks, and drinks Inform your clinic before admission if you have special needs.
These Items Are Permitted By Some Clinics But Not Others
Each has their own rules and policies so do not expect that it is standard to all. The list below includes items that are permitted by some centres
- Smartphones and Laptops
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- Don't leave your charger behind.
- There are facilities that allow patients to bring cigarettes.
- These centres usually have some restrictions regarding the number of cartons you can bring in.
- Vitamins and Over-The-Counter Medications
- These products must be new and unopened.
- Chewing Gums
- It must be unopened and sealed.
- Music Players
- It is sometimes possible to carry items that don't have an internet connection or speakers.
- For patients who are photography enthusiasts, the are allowed with the privilege to bring their cameras with them.
- Due to their dangerousness, razors may be forbidden in certain clinics.
- Disposable razors are allowed in most cases.
- Nail Clippers
- Some allow nail clippers, some don't.
- Things That Remind You Of Home
- You could be allowed to bring in your own bedding, pillows and some other stuff to make your room more comfortable.
- Before packing any of these items you should double check with the chosen rehab centres, whether they allow such items.
Will I Retrieve Forbidden Items That I Accidently Take To The Clinic
Don't freak out if you bring along something forbidden after you get to the clinic. The person who brought you to the centres will be requested to carry the prohibited item's back home by the rehab centres. In case you got no one with you at the time of admission, they will hold the item for 24 hours until your representative can claim it. You may also choose to pick the after the session ends.
In case you live alone and are planning to check in by yourself. You need to be aware of all the rules and restriction in the facility before you come to check in. In case you pack something, which is prohibited by mistake you will want to ensure that those items will be returned during some stage. In case they do not do temporary safe keeping, then inquire if they can facilitate shipment to someone you know.
Packing For Rehab You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. Facilitate the application process by reviewing the packing checklist of your clinic's website. Pack only what you need as an advice.
Find Support Now
A number of treatment centres will allow you to bring certain things, which can make your life comfortable during the treatment. Look for top clinics that can suite your necessities with the support of our therapy experts.
We can help you find the best centre, call us today on 0800 246 1509.