The Misuse Of Drugs In Higher Institutions
College life to some is often associated with parties where binge drinking and abuse of recreational and prescription drugs are common.
Among the total drug abusers throughout the country students in college hold the premier position and are one of the largest groups.
Young individuals [ages 18 to 24] are already at an increased risk of addiction.
It is common for many students to come across problems of natural social anxiety when they begin life in college. It is easier to let go off your inhibitions after a few drinks and that's why many students are tempted to drink. Binge drinking is not something that every student starts doing as soon as he enters college, but drinking on a regular basis pushes many students onto the path of addiction.
Drugs and booze are easily overused by full-time college students than youngsters who do not study in a campus.
Reasons Why College Pupils Revert To Drugs
There are many reasons that cause people to start using these drugs such as
- Students are usually required to face the high demands of coursework, part-time jobs, internships, social obligations and various other things, which make them turn to drugs as a method of coping.
- Study Pressure
- Wanting to succeed always makes the students study harder and they can use some stimulants in a bid to enhance their concentration.
- These prescription medications are usually obtained without a legitimate prescription in most cases.
- College students, because of their young age and fewer responsibilities want to try out new things.
- They will thus be curious to try out some things such as drugs and alcohol.
- Social Pressure
- Many pupils will be lured to experiment drugs because they live in an environment where peers are constantly trying recreational and boasting drugs.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Eating Abnormalities And Dieting Pills In College
There is usually problems with dieting among many college students.
There was a survey done by the National Institute of Mental Health that shows majority of these students suffer from some eating problem. Over the last two decades men and women who are affected by an eating disorder has shown a tremendous growth, and this number is alarmingly constantly on the rise. In order to cut down weight, many college pupils opt for diet tablets overuse. Indiscriminate use of diet pills can have severe health consequences. Find out more about eating disorders and diet pill abuse on college campuses.
Types Of Drugs Found In Higher Institutions
Depending on the prevailing waves and technological advances of the time, the drug of choice among college students change with time.
There are some common drugs that can be found in nearly all the colleges. These include
- In most of the colleges, liquor is the most abused substance.
- It is also tricky to tell if a student is addicted to liquor or not because it is something that is used in many social events.
- Adderall also has the nickname of being a "study drug" and this medication along with some other stimulants is increasingly becoming popular with college students who are facing the pressure to meet all their academic requirements.
- Many students are using Marijuana as talks about legalizing it are becoming popular.
- You shouldn't be surprised to see that it is being abused more than liquor.
- Ecstasy, which was very popular in the 90s, has started becoming popular in college campuses again in a more concentrated form, called molly or MDMA.
- Students in their 20s tend to overuse the "party drug" as their generation is in the target age range for the most common abusers of this substance.
- MDMA is widely abused at raves and gigs.
Alcohol Effects On College Students
The most hazardous drug found in college campuses is booze. More and more students find it cool and associate drinking and intoxication to fun college life, earning its ubiquitous attendance in almost all college parties and sports celebrations.
The use of alcohol is widespread during college and is often condoned, and this has caused many college students to begin consuming more alcohol at a frequency that is higher than their peers who are no longer present at the college.
Four out of five college students consume alcohol during their time in college.
According to National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, almost half of the 80% are binging. Binge drinking causes severe health damage over a period of time, but it also contributes to immediate mishaps like accidents and violent fights. Know about alcohol abuse among college students and the dangerous effects of alcohol on the health.
Abuse And Greek Life
The idea of family relationship fostered in fraternities and sorority groups is somewhat negated with the increasing alcohol and drug culture that are common among them.
Adderall is one of the most overused prescription substances within fraternities and sororities, way more than students outside the Greek system.
Getting The Assistance Required For Dependency On Drugs Or Alcohol
There is always help for the students in higher institutions that are having a hard time to stop using alcohol or other forms of drugs. We have healthcare experts and counsellors who can take care of your needs in dealing with this predicament. Gain your life back from overuse and dependence by contacting us now on 0800 246 1509.